There is a growing demand for people with an adult education masters degree to work in sectors that include vocational training, instructional design, corporate training, college teaching and more. As the nature of life changes with new technologies and information becoming available, there is an increasing need for teachers who hold a masters in adult education degree. In the US alone, there are hundreds of thousands of adults who need to engage in continued learning programs due to the nature of their professions.
Adult Education Training
Adult education specialists are therefore in high demand. Those who hold Masters Degrees have an extensive knowledge of all the practices and theories involved in this field of learning. The objective of adult education is to benefit individuals and, in so doing, benefit society, and adult education distance learning programs are a viable way to complete program requirements. To practice adult education in these environments, an adult education masters degree or equivalent is usually the minimum qualification. Before enrolling in a MA program, students must have obtained a Bachelors degree.
Adult Education draws from other fields like cultural studies, history, communications, sociology, and psychology. Its main commitment is to practice student-centered teaching. This can take place in a large number of settings. Some examples are universities and colleges, health care institutions, government departments, continued learning workshops, community and non-profit organizations, the corporate world, and even military services.
Training, however, does not have to be in adult education. It can be in any field that has provided a student with expertise and knowledge. The purpose of a MA program is to build on this fundamental knowledge, enabling graduates to not only work in that field but to also teach related skills to adults.
With a adult education masters degree, graduates will have the ability to relate to, and educate, adults. Teaching adults is very different to teaching children. Core subjects are adult development and growth, adult education in a social context, adult education, program planning, and implementation. Other courses include:
- Fundamentals of Training
- Adult Learning Theories (Andragogy)
- Educational Psychology
- Human Development
- Instructional Design and Development
A masters in adult education degree generally takes 2 years to complete. The skills acquired are vast. Students learn how to assess the needs, concerns, interests, motivations, and capabilities, of adults. They learn how to evaluate research and apply it to adult education, plus they are taught how to design and implement educational programs on large and small scales.
In addition, they learn how to use technology to support adult education. Graduates are fully conversant with basic literacy, community development, human resource development, aboriginal learning, post-secondary learning, community health promotion, and vocational learning.
Adult Education Careers
Those who teach adults are expected to keep abreast with the latest teaching techniques, technologies, and standards that are applied in classrooms. These include, but are not limited to, desktop or ceiling projectors, computer software, and audiovisual equipment. Because many adult students have daytime jobs, it is often necessary to teach on weekends or in the evenings.
Therefore, adult education can involve erratic hours and/or overtime. Anyone interested in this profession should have excellent speaking and listening skills. The ability to think creatively and critically is also essential. Plus, they should be willing to adhere to institutional requirements and rules. The ability to make learning environments interesting and vibrant is also important.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The median annual wage of adult literacy and GED teachers was $46,530 in 2010 as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This includes adult basic and secondary education and literacy teachers and instructors. The lowest 10% earned below $27,090 while the top 10% earned more than $83,580. employment is expected to grow by 15% between 2010 and 2020.
Many people with an Adult Education Masters qualification are paid hourly which, in the US, presently averages at $14.85. The median annual salary for a full-time worker is $49,627. Salaries vary according to the subject taught and the place of teaching. Employment opportunities for anyone in this career are excellent as it is becoming increasingly important for adults to be well educated.
Programs in Adult Education
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Program Management)
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Educational Technology)
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology