An art therapy masters degree is necessary to practice in the profession. There are a number of career paths that you can choose with a therapy masters degree. Job opportunities for psychologists are favorable especially for those who hold a MA (masters) qualification. We will focus on a few choices that can be pursued in this field. Psychology is defined as the scientific observation of the human mind with the emphasis being on behavioral issues.
Art Therapy Education and Training
Graduates with a MA in Psychology are allowed to provide psychological assessments and psychotherapy under the supervision of a registered clinical psychologist. This is known as a terminal degree which means that additional study is not required. A MA in Experimental Psychology can also be considered a terminal degree or it be obtained in preparation for further study.
The exact type of psychology courses may be assessed to make sure that they fit with the requirements of the program. Admissions will look for; abnormal psychology, child psychology and theories of personality. If there are some courses that have not been taken, students will have a chance to make up needed course material before the start of school.
When students are filling out the applications for the art therapy masters program, there are some things to consider. The transcript will need to be included with the application. A transcript that shows marks and course topics from a bachelors degree. Three letters of recommendation will need to be sent along with the transcript. These letters can come from previous field placement supervisors or collage professors.
A mission statement will also be needed. Students will write a statement that highlights why are they are interested in the field and how they wish to use the skills that are desired. Future goals will be noted in the mission statement. A portfolio should be the final component to the application. The portfolio will consist of up to 15 samples of artwork. Artwork can consist of; paint, drawings, sculpture, clay models and photos.
An art therapy program may consist of up to 49 credits. These credits will be needed in order to fully graduate. 28 of the credits will be therapy type courses while the a bulk amount may be part of internship programs. Some courses will consist of electives of the students choice. After the first semester, students will begin their field placement. There are many different types of art companies that will hire students to work on their internship. These roles are supervised and marked as part of the program. Students will further build on their portfolio with their work and will learn in a hands on way.
Art Therapy Careers
Acquiring an education with art therapy masters programs is ideal for those who are talented in art and wish to also work in therapy position. The outlook for someone who takes art therapy masters programs is good. These programs will train someone to work with patients who need counseling in a different way. Art therapy is used to help people with many different types of mental ailments. Art therapists can help patients remember things from their past, talk about their feelings and deal with hurt emotions.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The pay scale for someone with an art therapy masters is around $29,000 to $35,000 after their first year. Following many years of experience in the field someone may earn up to $55,000 a year. People who work for government agencies may see a salary between $35,000 to $54,000 a year. Graduates who go into the hospital field may earn between $33,000 to $43,000 a year.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. in Counseling
- Walden’s MS in Psychology program offers 11 specializations to help you gain the knowledge and develop the skills needed to seek career advancement, help others, or prepare for doctoral studies.
- Prepare to apply the latest psychological research and theory to real-world problems, whether you choose to work in a community agency, in a healthcare setting, or in social services systems.
- Graduates of this program prepare themselves to apply psychological theory, research, and practice to scholarly and/or professional activities that promote positive social change.
- Our redesigned MS in Psychology program offers streamlined coursework—five specializations allow you to accelerate your path to a PhD by applying credits earned from your master’s program.
- M.S. in Psychology - General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - Crisis Management & Response
- M.S. in Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- MA Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Offers online & on-campus Master’s in Medical Family Therapy programs with an optional certification in Medical Family Therapy
- Students participate in a clinical internship with 500 client contact hours and 100 hours of supervision prior to completing the program
- Topics covered include Couples Therapy, Addictive Disorders, Systematic Diagnosis & Assessment, & more
- Eligible students can enroll in clinical training program after completing their coursework
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Treatment of Trauma
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...