The Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) is a doctoral and the PhD in Business Administration are programs that focus on business management and administration. To gain admission to a doctoral program, students must be in possession of a Masters or MSc degree, or a corresponding qualification in general management. If they do not have either of these, a qualification in a relative field, awarded by a professional organization, may be acceptable.
DBA Education and Training
Certain universities require applicants to have previous working experience in a supervisory or managerial position involving strategic matters. A thesis marks the end of a student’s doctor of business administration degree program. This has to be presented and defended by the student to the faculty’s doctoral review committee. The degree is only awarded with all coursework, written research, and testing has been completed and approved by the faculty.
The coursework and research in the Doctorate in Business Administration program goes beyond that of a Masters Degree. It culminates in a journal publication or thesis that makes a meaningful contribution to business practice or theory. A DBA is suitable for students who want to pursue careers in the business world and those who want to pursue careers in academia.
DBA students can specialize in fields like finance, economics, organizational behavior, technology management, management science, or other practical areas. Depending on the place of learning, curricula are offered on a part-time or full-time basis, or both.
Students also have the option to take the Executive DBA program, which is designed to meet the needs of executives and managers. It enables them to earn their DBA degree while remaining in consulting or managerial positions. Participants come from all sizes and types of organizations and represent a variety of industries.
Careers with a DBA
Career options with a doctorate in business administration degree vary. Upon graduation, those who wish to pursue careers in academia are able to impart their profound knowledge in classrooms. In the role of professors, they make a positive impact on the learning process of students.
Furthermore, they communicate directly with business professionals about new ideas and research findings. This inspires businesses to adopt new methods for more effective and efficient operations. In return for a professor’s dedication to research and passion to teach, he or she also has the freedom to pursue his or her own research interests and work independently.
With a DBA, career options are not restricted to academic settings. Graduates can opt to enter the corporate world as organizational consultants or researchers. Many large firms need doctoral people to explore financial projections, consumer behavior, strategic directions, and many other fields in the corporate arena. Companies employ such people as specialist consultants.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Business administration faculty members are among the highest paid researchers or educators in universities. In the US, the starting annual salary for a faculty professor is over $100,000. This amount can go as high as US$150,000 to $175,000 for those who are involved in fields like finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, and the administration of small businesses.
Professionals with a Doctorate in Business Administration can also take on top positions in corporate companies such as a CEO (Chief Executive Officer). Starting salaries in the corporate environment are similar to those in academia. However, they can be a lot higher depending on position, experience, and size of the company. The starting annual salary for a CEO is around US$140,000 with unlimited potential to increase.
Doctoral Programs in Business and Management
- Enhance your knowledge and expand your influence with an MBA from Walden.
- Tempo Learning™ by Walden - Competency-Based Learning—the faster you go, the less you pay.
- Master skills that employers today are looking for.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden University’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- D.B.A. in Social Impact Management
- D.B.A. - Self-Designed
- D.B.A. - Marketing
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management - D.B.A.
- General Business - D.B.A.
- Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...