Earning a Doctorate of Ministry is a calling, whose rewards are personal fulfillment and the knowledge that one is contributing to society in a unique way. The doctorate degree takes anywhere from three to seven years to complete. There are various different kinds of bibles including the Christian and Jewish bible, which are used in religious teachings throughout the world. Ministers, who study these Bibles, are constantly trying to upgrade their education in order to be able to explain these writings to their congregations.
Ministry and Theology Training
Among the educational recognition of their studies is obtaining a Doctorate of Ministry. This education may be obtained at Theological Schools, as well as various universities and colleges, both on campus and online. Reviews of the various educational opportunities for this degree can be found online. These reviews will outline the requirements for admittance, the courses, tuition and other pertinent information.
Regardless of the school chosen, the Doctorate of Ministry degree is aimed at ministerial leadership which covers a number of areas. These are things such as ministerial leadership in missions, church leadership, pastoral or religion theology, administration of the church or other things, depending on the course of study. For Theological Schools, the programs for this degree may vary somewhat but most are guided by the United States and Canada Association of Theological Schools. Sometimes referred to as Doctor of ministry or Ministry PhD, the focus may be on studies in theology, divinity, or pastoral studies.
Guidelines indicate that an applicant must have at least 3 years of full-time ministry experience and have a Master of Divinity Degree or do preliminary coursework before entering the program. Approximately one full year of academic study is required, as well as a dissertation, as part of the program. The completion of all the degree’s requirements takes from three to seven years.
Degrees resulting in Doctor of Theology or Doctor of Philosophy, in Religious Studies or Religion, focus on application-oriented research and a dissertation that makes original contributions in the area of theoretical knowledge. In comparison, a program for a Doctorate of Ministry dissertation is directed to actual applied ministry. While one program brings something new into the area of Biblical studies and its application, the other enhances what is already known.
The majority of programs assign a faculty mentor to work closely with a student throughout his or her coursework and completion of their selected Professional Project. Students primarily choose a study topic around which their Professional Project will be focused. The study must be designed to contribute to the ministry which, as a result, affects course selection as well as assignments.
Careers in Ministry and Theology
The majority of the Doctor of Ministry Degrees are structured for the working clergy. As a result it can be earned by part-time study by missionaries, priests/pastors and other leaders who are practicing ministry. This makes it very convenient for those who must tend to the many activities their current job may entail. This makes online study very convenient for ministers wishing to further their education.
A person who obtains a Doctorate in Ministry degree has a wide range of opportunities for employment. These would include, but are not limited to, positions such as Senior Pastor, Chaplain, Minister, Associate Pastor, and Executive Director for a none-profit organization.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The salary for someone with a doctorate of ministry would depend on where one is working and the responsibilities of the position. A Senior Pastor, for example has a salary range of $40,223 to $134.095. A chaplain’s average salary can range greatly depending on where they are working. For example, those working for the Federal Government have an average salary of $71,485 and a U. S. Navy Chaplain’s salary can exceed $100,000. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that, overall, clergy positions will grow through 2016.
Doctoral Programs in Religious Studies
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Walden’s MS in Psychology program offers 11 specializations to help you gain the knowledge and develop the skills needed to seek career advancement, help others, or prepare for doctoral studies.
- Prepare to apply the latest psychological research and theory to real-world problems, whether you choose to work in a community agency, in a healthcare setting, or in social services systems.
- Graduates of this program prepare themselves to apply psychological theory, research, and practice to scholarly and/or professional activities that promote positive social change.
- Our redesigned MS in Psychology program offers streamlined coursework—five specializations allow you to accelerate your path to a PhD by applying credits earned from your master’s program.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.