Health psychology masters programs teach students how to use their knowledge to encourage and promote physical health, and also involve a study of the mental decisions that make people do things which they know to be harmful. This type of degree program would show students how to design a structure that would encourage healthy behavior, as well as how the mental reaction to a diagnosis can impact upon recovery. To enroll on a masters program in this field, a prospective student would need to have an undergraduate degree in psychology, or a related field such as sociology.
Health Psychology Education and Training
Though there are some bachelors psychology programs that do have a focus on health, such a specialization may not be necessary to be accepted on to a higher-level program. Most schools would stipulate that applicants should have a minimum GPA test score, and perhaps also a certain result in the Graduate Record Exam. During the orientation, new students often receive an overview of the health psychology masters programs and course requirements.
The coursework provided in the health psychology masters program would have a focus on the connection between the brain and illness, as well as disease prevention, and the management of chronic illness. This field is a relatively new study area, students would be expected to create their own program in part, but this would need to have a focus on learning how to design and evaluate structures and concepts that encourage healthy habits and prevent the onset of chronic disease.
There would be a requirement to take general classes alongside specialized modules in the health psychology masters programs. A few schools provide the option of concentrating on clinical practice, wherein the students would work alongside actual patients. Some classes that may be offered include abnormal psychology, psycho-pharmacology, intervention techniques, the biological source of mental issues, statistics, and mental health and wellness. An oral defense of an original thesis would be expected prior to graduation.
Health Psychology Careers
Those individuals graduating from a masters program in health psychology can expect to find employment in a variety of settings and industries. The largest number of openings are to be had in community mental health agencies, rehabilitation facilities, and hospitals. Example profiles include social worker, community counselor, and psychology research assistant.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to official data, psychologists held around 170,000 jobs as of 2008. Educational institutions were the major employer, with many psychologists employed in non-teaching positions such as research, administration, counseling, and administration. Around 21% were working in the healthcare sector, primarily in hospitals, outpatient clinics, and substance abuse centers. Approximately thirty-four per cent of psychologists, as of 2008, were self employed, most as private practitioners.
The median annual wages for all psychologists was $64,000 in 2010. The middle fifty per cent commanded a wage of between $48,000 and $82,000, with the highest ten per cent earning more than $106,000, and the lowest earning less than $37,000. The best packages were provided to those individuals employed in the offices of other medical practitioners.
The employment of psychologists is expected to increase by a rate of around 12% up until 2018, this is as fast as for the average of all occupations. This trend will be in part driven by the demand from schools, social service agencies, substance abuse clinics, and hospitals and those with health psychology masters programs or related experience will likely see better prospects.
Health and Medical Psychology Programs
- Walden’s MS in Psychology program offers 11 specializations to help you gain the knowledge and develop the skills needed to seek career advancement, help others, or prepare for doctoral studies.
- Prepare to apply the latest psychological research and theory to real-world problems, whether you choose to work in a community agency, in a healthcare setting, or in social services systems.
- Graduates of this program prepare themselves to apply psychological theory, research, and practice to scholarly and/or professional activities that promote positive social change.
- Our redesigned MS in Psychology program offers streamlined coursework—five specializations allow you to accelerate your path to a PhD by applying credits earned from your master’s program.
- M.S. in Psychology - Health Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Master of Science in Child and Adolescent Developmental Psychology
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- Continue your pursuit of knowledge with a master's degree in psychology online with GCU.
- Explore human behavior and the development of critical thinking and leadership.
- Areas of focus include: forensic psychology, geropsychology, health psychology, life coaching and industrial & organizational psychology.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Pursue a career in counseling, behavioral health, mental health, social services, education and more.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- MA Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!