People who apply for admission to an information Systems PhD program are individuals who seek to expand their knowledge and abilities in the practice and theory of systems designed for complex applications or organized environments. The information security doctoral program is designed to train future researchers, scholars and teachers to understand the many areas of information communications in relation to society. The program is focused on developing technical and empirical research skills and on producing academic IS units, and interdisciplinary researches. Many people who complete this program also go on to develop new ideas and technology in the field.
Information Systems Education and Training
It takes approximately 4 to 6 years to complete this program. The PhD program is designed mainly for people who wish to do research in the field or become a faculty member and have goals for advancing in Internet technology with an information systems PhD.
Applicants for the information systems doctoral program must provide an admission form and fee, undergraduate transcripts, master’s transcript, GMAT test scores, Statement of Purpose, and three letters of recommendation. The master’s degree must be in appropriate an area such as business, computer science, public administration, engineering or a social science. A record of one’s previous work in the field is also usually required. If a person is working, some schools will allow taking the program on a part time basis although that is not the best method to fully emerge in the study program.
To obtain an information systems PhD degree there are 73 to 85 hours required depending on the specific program, broken down as follows. Major hours, Supporting, Area, Research Seminars, Research Methodology and Dissertation Hours. Following is how the credit hours are generally distributed.
1. Introductory Doctoral Seminar, 2. Core Statistics Requirements, 3. Research Methods, 4. Philosophy of Science Seminar, 5. Business Core, 6. Area of Concentration. 7. Support Area, 8. Area Specified courses/seminars, 9. Dissertation work.
In taking information systems courses, one can expect to have data analysis experiences on real world data using regular statistical software, such as SAS and Splus and do case studies regarding data management and model fitting, interpretation and diagnostics. This would involve such things as exploratory data analysis, linear models, kernel, splines and additive models among other things. This is a hands-on experience which is an excellent way to determine the ins and outs of the computer and data systems development and control.
Information Systems Careers
Graduates with an information systems PhD degree are in high demand with leaders in the software industry such as Microsoft and Avaya. They are also highly sought in government and well known corporations throughout the world. In many of these places they are able to carry on research projects and develop new ideas regarding data systems, its construction, use and protection. At the current time many universities are also searching for faculty members with this expertise and degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, there is a growing demand for Information Systems PhD graduate services due to the increased use and reliance on computers systems and data storage. In addition, the need for more computing speeds, software performance, network technologies, information security and embedded services adds to this demand which is expected to grow by 24% by 2018. The computer and information scientists specializing in research, as of 2009, earned a median wage of $101,570 plus benefits.
Doctoral Programs in Computer and Information Technology
- Bachelor’s programs include Cyber Security and Information Technology with multiple concentrations
- Courses designed to teach students core concepts such as programming, system administration, and security
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Doctor of Computer Science (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Computer Science - Big Data Analytics (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Computer Science - Information Assurance (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!