What you need to know about international development studies masters degree is presented in this article in regards to graduate program requirements and future career prospects. For anyone looking for a career in an intergovernmental organization, then it is usually an important facet of the role to gain an international development studies masters degree.
International Development Studies Education and Training
It is possible to graduate with a Bachelors degree and enter this field immediately, but it will soon be clear that in order to move to a higher level within the organization that further education is required. With large amounts of the budgets of major powers such as the USA and the UK being spent on overseas aid, it is necessary for there to be an adequately trained workforce in place to ensure that the aid is spent wisely and on projects that advance the original objectives of the grants. International development is becoming a key weapon in soft diplomacy deployed by major world states as a counterpoint to military action that is sometimes necessary.
In order to pursue a Masters in this program it is usually a minimum requirement to have a basic degree, although sometimes relevant experience can also count towards this, for instance someone who joined an NGO and worked within that organization for ten or fifteen years would probably be accepted on a Masters course.
Typically, the International Development Studies Masters Degree is offered as a MA in development studies or MSc development studies program.
The degree program will typically take between one and two years dependent upon the course structure and the time that the student is able to dedicate towards its completion. For example a full time student would be able to complete it within a year, while someone in full employment would most likely have to run the course over a greater amount of time.
The advanced degree is designed to cover a range of subjects to equip the student with a generalized overview of the various strands used in the world of international development. It may be the case that if the student has a specific area that they wish to work in that they should undertake an advanced degree more precisely tailored to that requirement.
International Development Studies Careers
The primary advantage of a Masters in International Development is that it gives you a fantastic opportunity to work in some of the most exciting and exotic countries in the world. Your career could lead you from the headquarters of an intergovernmental organization to a sustainable water project in Nepal.
Anyone looking to progress their career working for an NGO, IGO or other supra-national organization will probably find that at some point their progression up the career ladder will be limited by a lack of official qualifications even where the on the job experience is excellent. For this reason, it becomes crucial that they break through this barrier with an international development studies masters degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Due to the nature of the roles that exist in the world of International Development the range of salaries involved can vary dramatically. For example some of the non governmental organizations are non-profit making charities where a high income is not likely to be on offer, while some other global organizations will offer very high salaries at executive level. It has been estimated that an international development studies masters is likely to boost the average salary by between $10,000 and $20,000 annually.
International Relations and Diplomacy Programs
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Government - International Relations
- Master of Arts in Government - Political Communication
- Master of Arts in Government - American Government
- And more...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Information
- Walden’s online MS in Forensic Psychology can help you apply new skills and perspectives to areas like cybercrime, criminal investigative analysis and profiling, terrorism, and victim advocacy.
- Develop a strong understanding of criminal behaviors while gaining the expertise needed to make a difference within the criminal justice system.
- Focus on your interests—choose from one of 10 specializations to help you develop subject matter expertise and tailor your degree to your personal interests and professional experience.
- Enjoy engaging, multimedia coursework; interactive case studies; podcasts; expert interviews; and our unique interactive learning community.
- MS in Human and Social Services - Conflict Management and Negotiation
- MS in Human and Social Services - Disaster, Crisis, and Intervention
- MS in Human and Social Services - Military Families and Culture
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Human Services
SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of SocialWork, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required.
- Master of Social Work
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Gender Diversity Studies - MA in Psychology
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
- Prepare for your mission - earn your master's degree in theology online with the Grand Canyon Theological Seminary.
- Join the Grand Canyon Theological Seminary (GCTS) and prepare for a lifetime of faithful ministry rooted in biblical truth, sound theology and practical wisdom.
- Follow your calling. Earn a master's degree in Christian leadership, Christian ministry, urban ministry, global ministry, worship leadership, or youth and family ministry.
- GCU's College of Theology exists to educate students to communicate the gospel effectively, serve the church faithfully and minister with integrity.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today to learn about our master's programs, financial aid options, start dates & more!
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Global Ministry
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Worship Leadership
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - Early Childhood Education
- MA/Education - Child Development