The masters in cyber security degree program, relates to a branch of computer technology that is based around the securing and safeguarding of electronic data to prohibit unauthorized access. This type of higher level program is designed specifically to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to secure all types of networks and electronic infrastructures against both internal and external threats. Students graduating from this program would be eligible to take up senior roles in industry.
Cyber Security Training and Education
Individuals wanting to partake of this higher level education would need to have successfully completed a related undergraduate degree from a reputable institution, the bachelor’s honor held should be in a field such as computer security or networking.
Certain graduate schools would expect applicants to already have hands on experience prior to enrolling. There may also be other requirements such as letters of recommendation, standardized test scores, and a need to have a working knowledge of a programming language such as C++.
The cyber security education curriculum at cyber security schools would follow an interdisciplinary approach. There would likely be topics given by a number of departments within a school, focusing on subjects such as information technology, law, and engineering. Typical modules would include advanced network security, digital forensics, computer architecture, operating systems, vulnerability analysis, algorithm analysis, biometrics, cyber terrorism, cryptography, and LAN/WAN protection.
Cyber security graduate programs will however vary by particular requirements but the foundational requirements may be fairly similar. Electives an include topics such as psychology of crime, forensic technology sociology, law, and business. A thesis or research project would need to be completed, this may involve the use of simulations to mimic real world threats.
Cyber Security and Computer Forensics Careers
This master in cyber security degree program helps to open the door to a range of interesting profiles, for example the role of a chief security officer, or an operations analyst. Primary responsibilities are likely to include maintaining a secure digital environment for the employer, alongside monitoring potential threats and network disruptions.
There are jobs available both in the private and public sector, and in organizations both big and small. The federal government in now investing heavily in securing electronic data, specifically as the threat of cyber terrorism and cyber warfare can have such a devastating impact on the economy and our way of life. Protecting the national data infrastructure, and securing essential systems such as the power grid would be extremely satisfying tasks.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics offers information relating to the expected salary of almost every position and industry in the country. As of 2009, the median salary annually for computer security experts stood at $67,700, though those individuals with a master’s degree are able to take up senior positions that typically provide greater financial compensation.
As the threats to digital information have become more prevalent and sophisticated over the last few years, and as this is a trend that will continue, the job opportunities for experts in this field are predicted to increase rapidly. It has been suggested that job growth in this sector will remain at around 20% up until at least 2018. With a master in cyber security, you can be almost guaranteed a long and rewarding career.
Programs in Cyber Security
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Cybersecurity Management
- MS in Information Technology - Information Security and Assurance
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity Policy
- Master of Science in Management - Information Systems Security
- Master of Science in Computer Science Computer Systems Security
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (MIT) - Information Assurance and Security
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Information Security Management
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Walden’s online MS in Criminal Justice program can equip you with leading-edge skills to address today's increasingly complex criminal justice issues.
- Study a unique blend of criminal behavior theory along with technology, homeland security, and management skills applicable to the challenges facing the law enforcement community.
- Synthesize principles from criminal justice theories, processes, and practices to promote social justice and positive social change.
- Gain broad exposure to the field of criminal justice, study the latest theories, and explore today’s increasingly sophisticated criminal justice issues.
- The MS in Criminal Justice program can help you develop a blend of technology, homeland security, and management skills that you can apply immediately on the job or use to advance your career.
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.