Obtaining a Master in Health Informatics degree is an excellent way to enter the healthcare industry. What is health informatics? Health informatics is a program of study which entails the use of methods and resources used to manage health information. The field supports medical research, health information technology, and medical practice. Health informatics is one of the fastest growing fields in the US and there is a high demand for specialists.
Health Informatics Education and Training
The MHI degree focuses on information science and computer science in healthcare settings. It trains students in the methodologies and technologies needed to efficiently retrieve and store vital patient information. To this end, the purpose is to design cutting-edge record-keeping systems. The core of the curriculum is computer science, information security, data base management, and data integrity.
Other master in health informatics coursework includes classification and coding systems, clinical documentation, medical terminologies, and health law and ethics. To complete a Masters program, students usually have to write a lengthy, meaningful thesis before being awarded their degrees.
The program is well suited for people already working in healthcare who have an interest in information technology. It is also suitable for those who hold a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology and want to work in the healthcare environment.
The program goes beyond teaching students how to keep records on a computer. It enhances their decision-making, research, implementation, and analytical capabilities. The aim is to prepare them to take on middle to high level management jobs. Some masters programs enable students to choose a specialty area of health informatics. These include social, organizational, clinical, public health, and bioinformatics.
Health informatics classes depend on the area of focus or specialty. They may include 2 and 3D chemical coding, computer-assisted drug design, computational chemistry, molecular modeling and molecular drug design, models of evolution, systems biology, DNA sequencing, structural genomics, comparative genomics, and sequence pattern recognition.
Students also learn a variety of skills. These are data analysis, telecommunications, assessment of data, computer implementation, written and oral communication, and how to be team players.
Health Informatics Careers
This industry is crucial to the survival and efficiency of healthcare. The main objective is to create systems that ensure the meticulous maintenance of patient records. If this was not done, the entire healthcare industry would be in danger of collapsing
Graduates with a master in health informatics qualification can work in a variety of settings. Typically, these are private doctors’ offices, research labs, hospitals, insurance companies, and home healthcare services. They take on positions such as record specialists, data quality managers, consultants, or patient information coordinators.
This career involves a vast amount of responsibility. Therefore, those who work in it must have a real passion to serve people, be meticulous while working, have good problem-solving skills, and the ability to cope with pressure.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
In terms of income potential, a HI specialist has employment opportunities that are, on average, among the highest paying in the medical industry. Obviously, this depends on factors such as experience, level of responsibility, and geographic location. In the US, the average annual masters in health informatics salary is US$88,750.
The top 25% of those who hold master in health informatics qualifications are earning a median annual salary of $104,120. The top 10% are earning around $137,800. All salaries for those with a master in health informatics degree are substantially higher than those who only hold a bachelors degree.
Health Informatics Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- MS in Health Informatics
- Our online DBA program allows you to develop solutions to complex, real-world business problems using advanced decision-making and leadership skills.
- Gain deeper business knowledge and serve as a global change agent—whether in corporate, public sector, or academic environments.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden University’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A. in Healthcare Management
- M.B.A. in Healthcare System Improvement
- Are you interested in taking the next step in your academic studies? Earn your master's in business online and take your career to the next level.
- Don't sacrifice your current job - GCU's flexible course schedule gives you the ability to enhance your leadership and entrepreneurial skills online or in the evening.
- GCU's Colangelo College of Business offers master's degrees in leadership, project management, accounting, organizational leadership, entrepreneurship and more.
- Develop high-level of critical thinking and analytical skills required to succeed in today's complex business environments and compete for executive-level positions.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- M.S. in Health Care Informatics
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration