A master in higher education administration degree program focuses on the practices and principles of administration in educational institutions. These are schools, universities, colleges, and other places of higher learning. As the world of higher education continues to change rapidly from a cultural, economic, and technological perspective, leaders and administrators have to be equipped with the knowledge, vision, and skills to guide institutions through ongoing changes.
Locate Graduate Programs in Education
Higher Education Administration Training
Before entering a masters program, students must be in possession of a B.Ed (Bachelor of Education) degree or related professional experience. The master in higher education administration degree program comprises of 30 to 36 credit hours of elective coursework as well as an internship. The duration is usually twelve months to twenty-four months depending on the program structure.
Coursework concentrates on several subjects. The main ones are planning and policies, curricula, labor and faculty relations, higher education law, student services, promotion and marketing, institutional research, philosophy, accountability, and issues of evaluation. Others may include:
- History of American Higher Education
- Economics of Colleges and Universities
- Policy and Higher Education
A HEP (Higher Education Program) provides students with a personally challenging and intellectual year. They examine the practices, issues, and policies that pertain to higher education, while enhancing their managerial and analytical skills. This is a comrade-based program where students form close ties with one another that last way beyond their graduation ceremony.
Successful graduates are awarded a master in higher education administration degree. Before taking on any positions, they must follow the regulations regarding licensing, certification, and registration.
HEP graduates can assume roles that involve student affairs, leadership, policy analysis, and institutional advancement. They work closely with their colleagues to sustain and improve the standard of educational institutions.
Higher Education Administration Careers
Career options with a master in higher education administration Degree vary but many involve working in leadership and management at two-year and four-year colleges and universities. A person with a Master in Higher Education Administration degree who manages secondary, middle, and elementary schools, is called a principal. He or she works closely with teachers to set the academic tone of the school so that high curriculum standards are maintained.
Every successful learning institution needs competent educational administrators. They are directly involved in the management of day-to-day activities and provide instructional leadership. An education administrator can also work in other environments to direct educational programs. These include community service organizations, job training in businesses, museums, and correctional institutions.
Education administrators also set educational goals and standards. This entails formulating procedures and policies in order to achieve the goals. They supervise staff, managers, coaches, counselors, teachers, and other employees. They must monitor the educational progress of students, initiate academic programs, motivate and train teachers, prepare budgets, administer record-keeping, plus manage student services and career counseling.
In addition, they deal with parents, current and prospective students, the community, and employers. In small organizations, a single administrator may be responsible for all these duties. In large school systems or universities, the duties are split up among a number of administrators and each has a designated function. Because they spend all of their time communicating and interacting with all types of people, excellent interpersonal skills are essential to be effective in this occupation.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual wage of elementary, middle, and high school principals was $86,970 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned below $58,300, and the top 10% earned over $129,480. The employment of elementary, middle, and high school principals is projected to grow by 10% between 2010 and 2020.
The median annual wage for postsecondary education administrators was $83,710 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $47,130 while the top 10% earned more than $164,540. The employment of postsecondary education administrators is expected to grow by 19% between 2010 and 2020.
Employment prospects for educational administrators will grow as fast as other occupations over the next several years, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. As more administrative responsibilities are being placed on learning institutions, especially regarding student achievement, job opportunities will be good. The average annual income for someone with a master in higher education administration ranges between US$48,777 and $99,093.
Higher Education Administration Programs
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Education - College Administration
- PhD in Educational Leadership
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Leadership in Higher Education - Master of Education
- EdD - Learning Analytics in Higher Education
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - Family and Community Services
- MA/Education - School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...