A master in sustainable development degree can prepare one for understanding and utilizing the world’s resources. This means organizing and managing natural resources, as well as natural wealth. Sustainable development is defined as a pattern of resource use which aims to meet our needs while preserving the environment for the present and future generations to come.
Sustainable Development Education and Training
Sustainable development is connected to the concern for the carrying capacity of natural systems and social challenges that face humanity. The field of sustainable development is generally broken into three areas: Economic sustainability, environmental sustainability, and sociopolitical sustainability.
Your sustainable development training will focus on the action of society on important issues with resources, and what can be done to improve conditions. You will need a qualifying BA degree to apply for your MA. These requirements will depend on the learning institution that you attend. You may not need letters of recommendation, but it might be best to interview with university staff, before applying.
Your master in sustainable development degree may require three different phases. The first will include core courses and electives, in the classroom. The second phase might be in the form of an internship, or it may include on the job experience, in your chosen field. There could be a six-month minimum on the training phase, and the last phase may be writing a final research paper. However, your educational curriculum will depend on where you study.
Some of the course requirements may include Ecology and Economics. You also may have courses in subjects like Climate Change, and Monitoring and Evaluation. You also may take classes in Environmental Impact and Gender Analysis. Speaking to a professor or counselor before choosing electives can be very beneficial, as your career needs may require certain courses.
Sustainable Development Careers
Graduates of a Master in Sustainable Development should possess skills and knowledge in things like community empowerment, monitoring and evaluation, and policy analysis. An understanding of things like economic development and proposal writing, will also be learned.
Degrees in sustainability are sometimes called “green degrees” because there are many jobs associated with ecology, that one may qualify for. You may find jobs in things Environmental Health or Waste and Waste Management. Environmental Education and Resource Managers are also possibilities for employment.
Wages in some kinds of employment may be hard to project, as jobs can vary a great deal. For example, with a master in sustainable development degree, you may apply for a position as a resource manager, and be required to solve environmental issues with an organization. These jobs can be high paying positions, in some cases.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Environmental specialists may make close to $60,000 annually. Waste Management operators may earn $60,000 yearly, but the median wage is closer to $40,000, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. Jobs in the Waste Management industry may also include health insurance and other benefits.
The job market is expected to grow at a much faster rate than average. Part of this may be due to the increased environmental awareness among most types of industry. There will be a demand for highly trained individuals that can solve ecological problems, with issues like waste and production.
In the next decade, your master in sustainable development degree may serve you well in the job market. There may be many positions in foreign countries that will be available, and organizational development and fund raising are only two options. There is also a lot of opportunity for valuable and rewarding experience, by volunteering with organizations like the Peace Corp, also.
International Relations and Environmental Management Programs
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Government - International Relations
- Master of Arts in Government - Political Communication
- Master of Arts in Government - American Government
- And more...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Information
- In Walden’s PhD in Forensic Psychology program, you will explore the systems and programs that work to create positive change in the legal system and community settings.
- Broaden your understanding of advanced forensic psychology and examine ways to evaluate programs designed for populations such as the incarcerated, recently released offenders, and the mentally ill.
- Choose from the General Program or six specializations—including two self-designed options—to align your studies with your specific career goals.
- Learn from subject matter experts and delve into real case studies. Walden’s faculty includes renowned forensic psychologists and other thought leaders in this exciting and diverse field.
- MS in Human and Social Services - Conflict Management and Negotiation
- MS in Human and Social Services - Disaster, Crisis, and Intervention
- MS in Human and Social Services - Military Families and Culture
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Human Services
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Gender Diversity Studies - MA in Psychology
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that fits your professional goals
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits toward your degree
- Accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- Master of Public Administration
SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of SocialWork, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required.
- Master of Social Work
- Join the Grand Canyon Theological Seminary (GCTS)
- GCTS is an interdenominational, evangelical seminary that prepares godly leaders for a lifetime of faithful ministry rooted in biblical truth, sound theology and practical wisdom.
- Featuring Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Arts (MA) programs designed to form you theologically, spiritually and professionally for leadership, ministry and service.
- Courses are available online, in the evenings and on campus in Phoenix, Arizona. Speak with an enrollment counselor today to learn about financial aid, start dates and more!
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Global Ministry
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Worship Leadership
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Masters of Education in secondary Science
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Science
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Our online MSEd program allows you to choose from a range of specializations and pacing options to meet your needs.
- Develop a deeper understanding of how to develop meaningful curriculum and policies.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden is the choice for more than 100 state teachers of the year.
- Coursework is based on the latest research and current best practices.