This overview of the Master of Health Information Management degree will give you a brief introduction to this career path. The overview also provides information on college prerequisites needed, examples of courses you will need, and what you can expect to earn as an average income after graduation. You will also learn about the trends and importance of this line of employment.
When considering entering the master of health information management degree program in health information management, you will need to have a bachelor’s degree. This degree must include relevant coursework, including basic computer programming, human anatomy, and physiology. You may also be asked to submit a curriculum vitae, reference letters, and a written report showing your interest in this field.
Health Information Management Education and Training
After making the decision to join the Master of Health Information Management field of study, there are foundational courses you will need to complete. A few examples include human resource supervision, medical legal issues, accounting, medical terminology, pharmacology, and electronic record strategies.
You may decide that you would rather enter one of the certificate programs that are available in this field. These programs can be completed in less time than it takes for the full degree, but consists of many of the same foundational courses, and a Bachelor’s degree. A few of the certificate programs include, Healthcare Informatics, Nursing Informatics, or Electronic Record Strategies.
Health Information Management Careers
A person in this field will be managing the electronic security that supports accurate, and efficient health-care delivery throughout the network of doctors and hospitals that patients use. You may also collaborate with physicians, clinicians, nurses, and administrators to develop data collection and reporting, planning for new elements of a system, or developing status policies.
Records and policies were always kept on paper, but the current trends show that computers are now critical to the ease of transferring details. This is why this field is now an important and rapidly growing one.
When you finish your Master of Health Information Management degree you will be able to sit for the RHIA exam. The certificate programs do not allow you to do this. This Registered Health Information Administrators exam is something that employers will look for before they will hire you. It shows that you are committed, knowledgeable, and it can help you acquire a job with a higher salary, faster.
There is a great variety of employment opportunities for someone who has chosen this master of health information management training path. You can have a career that ranges from a HIM director, coding specialist, patient information coordinator, to a clinical data specialist, or having your own consulting service.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
According to a study that is performed every two years on the salaries for HIM positions, the coding specialist is the lowest paying at an average of $40,000 a year, the highest salary is for an Integrated Healthcare Delivery System specialist is an average of $100,000 per year.
The outlook for someone who has a Master of Health Information Management degree is good. All doctors and hospitals are now beginning to switch to computers for their record keeping. Most of these positions cannot be outsourced which means they will remain in the country of origin, and that means you have a great outlook for a reliable career, with a growth of 24% per year.
Health Information Management Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration
- Our online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can help you improve the experience of healthcare providers and patients.
- Walden’s online MHA program prepares leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Taught by doctoral-level faculty, our online MHA degree program features curriculum with multimedia that lends a real-world perspective to your online learning experience.
- Two ways to earn your MHA: choose from a course-based format or our competency-based Tempo Learning® by Walden that allows you to learn on your own schedule, at your own pace.
- M.B.A. in Healthcare Management
- M.B.A. in Healthcare System Improvement
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- M.S. in Health Care Informatics
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Health Care Administration - MBA