A masters in cognitive psychology would involve the study of higher-order functioning of the brain, for example language use, abstract thought, and problem solving. It is a discipline that is concerned with processes of an internal nature, as opposed to behavior. Psychologists specialized in this field can find employment as researchers, private practitioners, or as independent consultants.
Cognitive Psychology Education and Training
A master’s degree would help to ensure that a range of interesting careers would be available. To gain entry to this type of master’s program, an applicant would need to have achieved a minimum score on their GRE. Also, there would be a requirement to have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree from a accredited university. Not every school would expect that applicants have majored in psychology at an undergraduate level, thought this would be advantageous.
Core coursework would cover such topics as research methods, theories, and statistics. General education requirements would likely involve a foreign language, arts and humanities, English, political science, mathematics, and sociology. With the cognitive psychology field, there is likely to be a concentration on three main areas, namely perception, memory, and thought processing.
Within the area of perception, an individual would learn about how psychological disorders impact upon thinking. An interesting component of this course relates to how we make memories, and why our memory is the way it is, and the impact it has on emotion. Thought processing, or decision making, would involve developing an understanding as to how rationality and logic can be used to make choices.
Other topics covered in the masters in cognitive psychology would vary dependent upon the school and teaching staff. For example, there may be modules relating to behavioral science, neuroscience, learning, language processing, research methodologies, and scientific writing.
Careers in Cognitive Psychology
Graduates from masters in cognitive psychology programs can work in a number of different sectors. There can be opening in areas such as public affairs, education, healthcare, administrative support, computer programming, and biological sciences. Examples of job titles can include employment counselor, probation officer, and community health coordinator.
The area of specialization will have a direct impact on the opportunities available post-graduation. It can be productive to take up an internship as a component of the master’s program so as to get a feel for a particular occupation. Most careers in the field of cognitive psychology would require a higher-level degree, there are also certain openings for cognitive psychology jobs that would necessitate the holding of a doctorate qualification.
There is the option of obtaining certification from the American Board of Professional Psychology, though this would involve the completion of an in-depth examination as well as a set amount of hands-on work experience. Certification can help to bolster future job prospects considerably.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The income that can be expected upon completion of this master’s degree is higher than if holding a lesser qualification, though a lot depends upon the nature of the employer. For example, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, mental health counselors earned an annual salary of $52,000 in 2009. It has been suggested that although there are only limited opportunities for individuals holding a masters in cognitive psychology, there will be a growth in the coming years that is at a rate equal to most occupations.
Masters in Psychology Programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- In Walden’s PhD in Forensic Psychology program, you will explore the systems and programs that work to create positive change in the legal system and community settings.
- Broaden your understanding of advanced forensic psychology and examine ways to evaluate programs designed for populations such as the incarcerated, recently released offenders, and the mentally ill.
- Choose from the General Program or six specializations—including two self-designed options—to align your studies with your specific career goals.
- Learn from subject matter experts and delve into real case studies. Walden’s faculty includes renowned forensic psychologists and other thought leaders in this exciting and diverse field.
- M.S. in Psychology - General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching
- M.S. in Psychology - Crisis Management & Response
- And more...
- Continue your pursuit of knowledge with a master's degree in psychology online with GCU.
- Explore human behavior and the development of critical thinking and leadership.
- Areas of focus include: forensic psychology, geropsychology, health psychology, life coaching and industrial & organizational psychology.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Pursue a career in counseling, behavioral health, mental health, social services, education and more.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- MA Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.A. Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- M.A. Forensic Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Child and Adolescent Developmental Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!