A masters in health care management gives students the necessary knowledge and skills to improve their careers in the healthcare industry. Students studying in the US are advised to check that the college or university of their choice offers accredited training.The Masters in Health Care Management program is developed for those who intend taking on managerial positions. It covers all aspects relative to the career of a healthcare manager.
Healthcare Management Education and Training
The program should be endorsed by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration, or the Council on Education in Public Health, or the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.
While the course content varies, there are many similarities in most related programs. Topics studied include finance, operations and policies, communications, research, marketing, strategic planning, quality control, and managed care. Other subjects may apply, depending on the type of degree selected.
Coursework of the various Masters Degree programs in this field differs. Therefore, students should choose their area of specialty carefully before selecting a program. Particular coursework might include:
- Healthcare Informatics
- Ethics in Healthcare Management
- Strategic Management of Healthcare Organizations
- Financial Management
- Organizational Behavior and Change Management
Health Care Management Careers
Career opportunities with a masters in health care management degree vary from facility to facility. The job of a healthcare manager is to direct, plan, supervise, and coordinate the efficient delivery of healthcare services. A manager may be in charge of a specific department, or be a generalist who is at the helm of an entire facility or system. He or she is also responsible for keeping pace with developing healthcare systems and structures.
Healthcare managers of the future must be capable of handling the integration and delivery of all healthcare systems. They have to focus on ways to improve preventative care, and be familiar with the latest technological innovations. It is the manager’s responsibility to ensure that all departments are running smoothly and that the highest quality care is being provided to patients. Their jobs, therefore, have to be constantly adapted.
In a large medical facility, the manager will have several assistant managers to help in day-to-day decision-making. Assistants oversee clinical operations such as nursing, medical records, surgery, healthcare information, and therapy. In a smaller facility, the manager will handle all these operations. He or she may even have to attend to admissions, provide resident care, and manage finances.
A person who has just graduated with a MHM generally starts as a department manager or a supervisor. The starting position depends on the candidate’s level of experience and the size of the facility. However, having a masters in health care management degree will greatly improve the chances of promotion. Staff positions in the form of residencies or fellowships are often available at healthcare facilities.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
In the US, it is mandatory for those with a Masters in Health Care Management to pass a licensing board examination and participate in continuing education. Employment opportunities will be excellent, especially for those who have working experience to strengthen their graduate education. Annual earnings range between US$45,000 and $127,000 depending on location, responsibility, and experience. There are some people in this profession who are earning as much as $140,000 a year.
Health Care Management Programs
- Our online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can help you improve the experience of healthcare providers and patients.
- Walden’s online MHA program prepares leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Taught by doctoral-level faculty, our online MHA degree program features curriculum with multimedia that lends a real-world perspective to your online learning experience.
- Two ways to earn your MHA: choose from a course-based format or our competency-based Tempo Learning® by Walden that allows you to learn on your own schedule, at your own pace.
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- M.B.A. in Healthcare Management
- M.B.A. in Healthcare System Improvement
- And more...
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- MBA - Organizational Leadership
- Business Master's Degrees at Grand Canyon University's Colangelo College of Business
- MBA's in Finance, Marketing, Health Systems Mgmt, Strategic HR Mgmt & more or a Master's in Accounting or Leadership!
- Programs provide a comprehensive foundation with the knowledge and skills needed to lead in the business world.
- Develop communication & leadership skills necessary to excel in today's global business environment.
- MBA programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- Convenience – all master's in business programs can be taken completely online.
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- MPA in Healthcare Administration and Public Health
- MBA in Health Care Management
- MBA in Leadership Management
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Care Administration - MBA
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration