A masters in health information technology can provide you with opportunities to work in a variety of sectors including health care management and administration, and health research. What is health information technology? The field is a specialization in information technology, which utilizes design, development for the maintenance of information systems for the healthcare sector.
Health Information Technology Education and Training
One hospital alone has huge database storage just for record keeping. Much of the data stored is not only just for patients, but for hospital records as well. Personnel with a masters in information technology surrounding health care is usually responsible for making sure this information is kept safe, confidential, and easily available for those that have permissible access.
Students will be required to have a bachelors degree in a health related field. Most schools also require at least three letters of recommendation and an acceptable grade point average of at least 3.0.
Professional health care financial management, information technology systems management, and research methodology concepts are a few of the courses students seeking to earn the masters in health information technology degree should be prepared for.
Other courses include medical and legal issues, medical terminology, fundamentals surrounding the field, and pharmacology. Clinical data management and human resource management courses are a couple other courses students should expect as well.
Students with a considering this career will need to be competent with many aspects of computers. Students will need to know details and techniques surrounding word processing, spreadsheet applications, and general facts about database structure. Every student upon graduation should have knowledge that allows successful application of communication skills and design for the advancement of existing systems.
Careers in Health Information Technology
Many aspects of the medical field have grown by leaps and bounds. While direct patient care has improved through technology, the area of record keeping has greatly advanced as well. Through major databases and computers, filing patients medical records has taken on a whole new face. Learn more about how you can earn your Masters in Health Information Technology.
Upon graduation from the masters in health information technology degree program, students have awesome employment options to choose from. Some may prefer the career of health information management while others may do well as record keeping technicians. The role these professionals play in the medical field is vital for supporting patient confidentiality and allowing their medical history to be shared with only those medical professionals available to help them during treatments.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
This career can be a rewarding position in addition to the high salary many professionals earn though it. Some opportunities can reach as much as $100,000 a year, depending on the position and the company you work for. Many starting salaries for this career start out around $80,000 as well. These amounts will increase as you gain more experience and add years to your career.
Jobs available in this kind of career are expected to grow in good measure due to the many facets of electronic data storage. Many areas that used to be written or typed are now placed on a computer database. Most every bit of important data worldwide is stored in this way, especially when it comes to medical records. Thousands of opportunities are available for students interested in making this career their life’s work.
Those thinking of earning a Masters in Health Information Technology might be interested to know that this career is one of the better paying than various other positions in the medical field. Choosing this field can help you to ensure your future while also allowing you to help others.
Health Information Technology Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- MS in Health Informatics
- Our online DBA program allows you to develop solutions to complex, real-world business problems using advanced decision-making and leadership skills.
- Gain deeper business knowledge and serve as a global change agent—whether in corporate, public sector, or academic environments.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden University’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A. in Healthcare Management
- M.B.A. in Healthcare System Improvement
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Are you interested in taking the next step in your academic studies? Earn your master's in business online and take your career to the next level.
- Don't sacrifice your current job - GCU's flexible course schedule gives you the ability to enhance your leadership and entrepreneurial skills online or in the evening.
- GCU's Colangelo College of Business offers master's degrees in leadership, project management, accounting, organizational leadership, entrepreneurship and more.
- Develop high-level of critical thinking and analytical skills required to succeed in today's complex business environments and compete for executive-level positions.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- M.S. in Health Care Informatics
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management