Earning a masters in marriage and family counseling will allow someone be qualified to sit for the board of behavioral sciences team in their state. They may write their exam with these qualifications and prepare for a doctoral program if they desire. With a doctoral behind someone, they may become licensed by the board of psychology in their state. People in the field can work with families in a variety of contexts. Counselors can provide consultation services, diagnostic abilities and therapeutic counseling.
Marriage and Family Counseling Education and Training
Students who wish to earn their masters will need to have a prior degree in a related area. The degree that they have should come from a reputable school and come with letters of recommendations from professors and former placement supervisors. A masters program will also require that a personal mission statement be submitted along with the application.
People who take the masters in marriage and family counseling course will have a variety of studies in various subjects. There will be a focus on research in human development for the purpose of professional counselors. Students will also study methodology and learn about tests, assessment tools and measures. Diagnosing and treating patients will be the primary focus throughout all the courses.
Courses that focus on the relationship of family and the dynamics of the unit, may help counselors to better help their patients. Classes will talk about life planning and career goal setting as well as the ethics of marriage and family units.
Before each course is taken, the prerequisites need to be acquired. There may be courses, residency and clinical hands on experience that needs to be taken before certain courses are allowed. Students can learn about the prerequisites before they pay and sign up for specific classes.
Marriage and Family Therapy Careers
Graduates are expected to work with people on their own, couples and family units in a therapeutic way. Specialists will be able to work on psychological issues, emotional and behavioral problems. They will provide sessions that will counsel, diagnose, rectify and problem solve with other people. When someone sees a specialist in the marriage and family sector, they will get therapy that meets the needs of everyone involved.
Specialists are well trained to help families with long term and short term complex issues. Counselors will be highly trained to work with adolescents with behavioral and emotional problems. They can also work in the area of bereavement, domestic violence, depression, infertility issues and infidelity among partnerships.
The area of counseling is broad and will take graduates in any area of work that they would like. Graduates can work in women shelters and agencies that help people who have been abused. They can also tackle the role of helping families deal with loss. Depressed patients and people with complex needs can also be worked with, when someone has their masters.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Pay expectations with a masters in marriage and family counseling vary. The pay for professionals with their Masters in Marriage and Family Counseling can earn between $58,000 and $73,000 per year. There are part time roles, self-employed positions and jobs that are within agencies and government programs. When someone has their masters in this field, they can go on to write their exam and obtain their license. Earning masters will provide graduates with more professional possibilities.
Marriage and Family Therapy and Counseling Programs
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- DMFT - Mental Health Administration
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- DMFT - Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling
- Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Psychology
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
- PhD in Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!