A masters in neuroscience degree is an intensive study program which has a focus on the human nervous system and the brain. f you have interest in working in a research position in this field, a master’s degree would likely be a stepping stone to a doctorate program, whereas those students who intend taking up full time employment in a non-research field would find that they are able to start a rewarding and satisfying career upon graduation.
Neuroscience Education and Training
To gain admission to masters in neuroscience degree programs, a student should have acquired a bachelor’s honor in a subject such as behavioral, physical, or biological science. It is recommended that prospective applicants have achieved academic success in the fields of biology, mathematics and chemistry. The entry requirements do vary considerably depending on such factors as the prestige of the school, as well as the competition for places.
Master’s degrees in the field of neuroscience provide students with a range of research skills and training that would allow them to work in this fascinating field. A student can be eligible to choose a specific concentration area, for example developmental neurobiology, synaptic transmission, or neuro-psychiatric disorders. Furthermore, students would be expected to develop precise analytical skills, as well as competence in various sub-areas. Laboratory based research would likely be an important component of the degree.
A neuroscience master’s program would include elements from biology, physiology, statistics, pharmacology, and possible even topics such as music therapy and sociology. The classes given would train students to recognize and understand normal and abnormal behavioral patterns in adults as well as children. Identifying and reducing the effect of personality disorders and mental illness would likely form a core of the learning experience.
The actual courses followed in masters in neuroscience degree programs would be a combination of non-electives and electives. Examples include neurophysiology, neural mechanics, nervous system structure and function, the brain and language, neuro-endocinology, psychopharmacology, neurobiology, physiology and anatomy, bio-statistics, embryology, human motivation, and therapy regimes.
Careers in Neuroscience
This higher level degree program can help to prepare students for a career that involves counseling individuals that suffer from mental health disorders, as well as research. Graduates would be well placed to help people with behavioral issues develop social relationships, for example through music or art.
Fields that can benefit from the knowledge a graduate from a master’s program in neuroscience has can include special education, linguistics, physical therapy, and drug rehabilitation. With this type of degree, it would be possible to pursue a career as a neurobiologist, neurochemist, research associate, or a product development specialist.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The average salary for graduates from this program ranges from $70,000 to more than $100,000. The place of employment has a massive bearing on earning potential, neuroscientists working in Manhattan reported a median salary of $107,000 annually in 2010, whereas those employed in Atlanta received an average salary of $84,000.
It is predicted that the opportunities for graduates from any biological science based course, including masters in neuroscience degree programs will rise by 21% cent between 2008 and 2018. The reason for this trend is the significant expansion of both the pharmaceutical and biomedical sectors.
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- MA Psychology
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- In Walden’s PhD in Forensic Psychology program, you will explore the systems and programs that work to create positive change in the legal system and community settings.
- Broaden your understanding of advanced forensic psychology and examine ways to evaluate programs designed for populations such as the incarcerated, recently released offenders, and the mentally ill.
- Choose from the General Program or six specializations—including two self-designed options—to align your studies with your specific career goals.
- Learn from subject matter experts and delve into real case studies. Walden’s faculty includes renowned forensic psychologists and other thought leaders in this exciting and diverse field.
- M.S. in Psychology - General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching
- M.S. in Psychology - Crisis Management & Response
- And more...
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.A. Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- M.A. Forensic Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Child and Adolescent Developmental Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!