The masters degree in homeland security is an advanced program of study that prepares students to have the skills and knowledge on the importance to national safety and national security. A Masters in Homeland Security degree will prepare you for leadership and management positions in emergency, safety, and security organizations.
Homeland Security Education and Training
While studying for a homeland security masters degree or other homeland security graduate programs, you will learn about vital infrastructures that enable the country to function. These include terrorist targets like rail and air transportation, water, and power. You will be taught how to devise defense strategies against such threats. The study period is usually 2 years but this may vary among educational institutions, and whether you are studying full or part-time.
Because this profession is growing so rapidly, many colleges and universities have responded to the demand by offering degree programs. Before you can study for a Masters (MA) degree, you must have earned an accredited Bachelors degree. When making application for admission, GRE scores and letters of recommendation are usually required.
Homeland Security Careers
Career opportunities with a masters of homeland security degree include working in areas intelligence, criminal justice and other areas. These may be federal, state, local, or private organizations. You will learn how they respond to threats and acts of terrorism. Following the horrific events on 11 September 2001, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was established. This has created many job opportunities for people who wish to pursue a career that involves the protection of the nation.
Apart from terrorism, you will acquire knowledge and skills regarding natural or man-made disasters in the Masters of Homeland Security degree program. When you graduate from homeland security masters degree programs, you will know how to identify, control, and prevent security, chemical, and biological threats. Coursework includes Intelligence Management, Critical Incident Planning, Critical Infrastructure Protection, Emergency Management Issues, and Domestic Safety Management.
The success of the DHS depends on total cooperation from other government, state, local, and federal agencies. Because of this, many of these have created new positions for employees to deal exclusively with the DHS. In terms of the Homeland Act, a number of federal agencies handed over their responsibilities and functions to the newly founded DHS.
With a Masters of Homeland Security degree You can seek employment in a number of federal agencies. These include border protection, customs, the coast guard, secret service, immigration or citizen services, and the federal emergency and management agency. Other employment entities are the NIH, CDC, FDA, FBI, capital police, park police, or the pentagon. Some examples of job titles are Public Safety Director, Safety Consultant, Emergency Management Director, Intelligence Analyst, and Counter Terrorism Consultant.
If you work as an Intelligence Analyst, you are at the forefront of the nation’s security. The job involves working within specific functional and/or geographical areas. You will review intelligence and investigative reports from FBI agents, and prepare documents, briefs, and communications for FBI executives and other law enforcement offices. This job, like all others in the field, gives you the opportunity to make a positive, meaningful contribution to your community and your country.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
With a Masters of Homeland Security degree, you can expect to earn around US$71,000 a year. Obviously, this will vary in accordance with the level of responsibility and the nature of the work. Experienced, highly skilled people in this occupation are earning six-figure salaries. These professionals are considered experts and are highly sought after.
Homeland Secutity Programs
- In Walden’s PhD in Forensic Psychology program, you will explore the systems and programs that work to create positive change in the legal system and community settings.
- Broaden your understanding of advanced forensic psychology and examine ways to evaluate programs designed for populations such as the incarcerated, recently released offenders, and the mentally ill.
- Choose from the General Program or six specializations—including two self-designed options—to align your studies with your specific career goals.
- Learn from subject matter experts and delve into real case studies. Walden’s faculty includes renowned forensic psychologists and other thought leaders in this exciting and diverse field.
- M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership & Executive Management - Homeland Security Policy
- M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership & Executive Management - Terrorism Mediation & Peace
- M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership & Executive Management - Homeland Security Policy & Coordination
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Management - Homeland Security
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Criminal Justice, MA (Online)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Public Administration in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.