Why is the masters of information technology degree so important in today’s global economy? In today’s world, if a company wants to ensure that they are as efficient, productive, and competitive as possible, they need to invest heavily in technology infrastructure. By choosing to enroll for a masters of information technology degree, individuals would be well placed to take up a rewarding career upon graduation.
Information Technology Education and Training
There are full time and part time programs available, those with a focus on business have the strongest competition for seats. But what is information technology? Information technology is the use of networks, the Internet, and computers networks to store, process, and receive data in digital or electronic formats.
The eligibility requirements for the masters of information technology program depend in part on what the actual focus is. It is easier to be accepted on to master’s degree if you already have a broad knowledge of the main topics. The application requirements do vary considerably between schools, you will need to contact each establishment in person offering this degree to find out the latest information. You should expect that you will need to submit information relating to your undergraduate score, as well as results from a GRE or GMAT test.
Most masters of information technology programs offer students the option of focusing their studies on a particular field. Information technology is a broad subject and one that can encompass many different sub-branches.
The following examples will help you to develop an idea of the type of electives you may be able to choose between – software programming and development, web based systems, telecommunications, e-commerce applications, security management, strategic information systems, systems design and analysis, programming, and advanced data communications. It is important to locate a program with a focus on the topics you have an interest in.
Information Technology Careers
The masters of information technology degree program will enhance and sharpen skills. No matter what your background, you will be able to broaden your knowledge and become more employable. As the IT industry is rapidly evolving, keeping up to date with the latest concepts and ideas should be thought of as essential. Many of the master’s of information technology programs have a focus on management, therefore various business theories may form part of the learning process.
As this higher level degree is well received in industry, a large number of opportunities would be available post-graduation. There can be the option of taking up profiles such as that of a systems analyst, IT project manager, systems manager, IT consultant, chief technology officer, IT specialist, and managerial consultant.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
According to the data made available from various professional bodies, the median entry level salary for systems analysts in 2009 stood at $51,000. For IT managers, such as digital systems managers, the median salary was an impressive $104,000 annually, database administrators took home an average income of $86,000 per year. There are many high paying profiles available to graduates from this master’s degree, but the best packages are definitely reserved for those individuals who have an understanding of the latest management and IT theories.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the job growth for professionals holding a masters of information technology and similar credentials is expected to grow much faster than the average of all occupations up until 2018. This increase in employment opportunities is predominantly driven by the growing demand for IT related services, and their integration into all levels of business and industry.
Information Technology Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Information Technology
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- MS in Management - Information Technology
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Information Technology (MIT)
- Master of Science in Software Engineering (MSE)
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics
- MS Health Informatics
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Science Database Systems
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.