A medical informatics masters degree focuses on health information technology. Successful graduates can go into the industry and apply their knowledge in real-life situations. What is medical informatics? The medical informatics definition holds that the field is also known as health informatics. This is an interdisciplinary field that embraces the use of information technology to organize, analyze, manage and utilize information used in improving healthcare.
Medical Informatics Education and Training
The medical informatics masters degree program is comprehensive and innovative. It provides an assortment of skills that can be used immediately in careers due to the high demand of medical informatics specialists. Medical informatics is one of the sub-disciplines of health informatics that has a direct impact on doctor-patient relationships. It enables data to be collected effectively with technology tools to improve medical knowledge.
The curriculum of a medical informatics masters degree is geared to equip graduates with the ability to make changes from positions of leadership in health care IT (information technology). This is an advanced degree that focuses solely on the health information technology field.
Medical informatics masters students may be established practitioners or even new to the health care environment. Either way, the program prepares them to play integral roles in the advancement of the health care industry.
The curriculum does not only focus on information technology and health care information technology alone. It is also designed to improve leadership and hone management skills, enabling specialists to make an instant impact on the industry, company, or organization they work for. Courses may include:
- Decision Support Systems and Health Care
- Software Project Management
- Integration, Interoperability and Standards
People who choose medical informatics will use their skills and knowledge in IT, health care, computers, and more. Knowing how all these elements are connected is the foundation of a masters program. Students acquire this knowledge by collaborating with professors and their peers. With a Masters qualification, they will become leaders in the renovation of health care IT.
Medical Informatics Careers
From a career perspective, people who have studied MI are able to create and read charts and know how these resources can be utilized in a healthcare environment.
The blend of information technology with health information technology can restructure the health care industry and bring patient care to a new level. Degree and certification programs in MI are designed to put people at the forefront of this transformation, implementation, and utilization.
The field also facilitates the delivery of enhanced patient care. The objective is to provide access to vital patient information instantly, at any time and from any place. This gives doctors the opportunity to make critical decisions quickly and informatively. MI often involves the management of data for education and research.
What of medical informatics jobs? An example of a working title for someone who is a specialist is a medical technologist. This job covers a wide range of responsibilities. Medical technologists typically work in clinical pathology laboratories where they analyze organic samples to check their biomechanical and biological composition. They also maintain, calibrate, and operate equipment to ensure it works efficiently. Medical technologist also give technical support to people conducting studies.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
A Medical Informatics Masters Degree is a sought-after qualification anywhere in the world. Because of this, job opportunities are excellent and salaries are in the upper bracket. The minimum starting salary in the USA is $88,750 while, at the top end of the spectrum, earnings go as high as $137,800 a year. The reason is due to the fact that this is an extremely specialized profession that has a huge impact on the progress of medicine.
Health and Medical Informatics Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- MS in Health Informatics
- Our online DBA program allows you to develop solutions to complex, real-world business problems using advanced decision-making and leadership skills.
- Gain deeper business knowledge and serve as a global change agent—whether in corporate, public sector, or academic environments.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden University’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A. in Healthcare Management
- M.B.A. in Healthcare System Improvement
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Are you interested in taking the next step in your academic studies? Earn your master's in business online and take your career to the next level.
- Don't sacrifice your current job - GCU's flexible course schedule gives you the ability to enhance your leadership and entrepreneurial skills online or in the evening.
- GCU's Colangelo College of Business offers master's degrees in leadership, project management, accounting, organizational leadership, entrepreneurship and more.
- Develop high-level of critical thinking and analytical skills required to succeed in today's complex business environments and compete for executive-level positions.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
- M.S. in Health Care Informatics
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration