The MFA in theatre degree is a terminal degree sought after by actors, directors, and performing artists. MFA theater programs are applicable to film, acting, directing, musical productions and stage acting. Through the years, certain art forms have proven themselves to be more valuable than others.
Masters in Theater Education and Training
Many of these art forms fall under the category of fine arts. By pursuing a masters degree in theatre, you can obtain all of the training, knowledge, and experience you need to pursue a career path in the performing arts industry.
Those who pursue this path as students are intrigued by art and they want to learn more about how to create high quality works. This desire to learn more about the fundamentals of art and how you can refine your craft is certainly a great motivational tool, but you will also need to acquire a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university before you can initiate your MFA studies.
While the MFA course work completed by traditional students generally involves a lot of reading and writing, you will likely find your curriculum to differ greatly compared to traditional college level coursework. Students pursuing the MFA degree often engage in classes and coursework that require live performances, physical movements, and the creation of final productions.
The courses in the MFA in Theatre can vary greatly from institution to institution though. For this reason, before you apply to a particular school, you should review the methodology they adhere to while instructing their students. If you are interested in having an enjoyable, interactive, and vibrant experience, you should certainly look for schools that focus primarily on the practical application of artistic theory while teaching theatre to students.
Once you have completed your coursework, you will possess a terminal degree in your field. By this time, you will deeply comprehend the basics of fine arts, but you will also be able to apply all of the knowledge you have acquired to create revolutionary pieces of art.
Careers in Theater Arts
Those who pursue the MFA theatre degree generally want to eventually become stage actors, but directors and television enthusiasts are commonly found completing this type of coursework as well. By completing this advanced degree, you will be opening many doors of opportunity to yourself. Many corporations around the world are constantly looking for creative and talented individuals who can fill diverse roles. After graduating, you will be able to fill positions ranging from stage actor in a production company to creative director at a large corporation.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The amount of earnings you can expect to see in your future varies greatly depending on the type of career you pursue. If you choose to pursue a standard teaching career, you can expect your salary to be about $40,000 per year once you first start and about $80,000 per year in the latter portion of your career. On the other hand, if you choose to become a performing artist, your earnings will largely depend on the personal skills and talent you bring to the positions you fill.
Since theatre has traditionally been one of the most popular forms of performing arts, and it has now integrated into new television and Internet technologies, this field can be expected to thrive going into the future. Also, corporations around the world are constantly in need of individuals with creative talent and vision average employees do not possess. For this reason, you can expect your future to be quite bright if you choose to pursue an MFA in theatre degree.
Art and Design Programs
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Media Design, Master of Fine Arts (Online)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!