Music production masters in Technology lead to various careers in the music industry, including audio production, audio engineering, and television and radio broadcasting. The music industry has evolved into a whole new realm of entertainment. As a result, which once served as sufficient for people working in the industry is no longer sufficient. Today, those pursuing a music production masters are finding that they are more prepared to take on the challenges of this field.
Music Production Education and Training
To enter a music program at this level, a bachelor’s degree is a standard prerequisite for acceptance. Many schools also require applicants take a GRE test as well as supply transcripts, letters of recommendation, and portfolios which demonstrate work that has been completed in the field. In the end, a Masters of Science in Music Technology can lead to various occupations that are much needed today.
Many of music production programs are now focused in the field of technology. With this degree individuals can work in sound recording, mixing and production, or engineering. These are all professions within the industry that are needed at this time. For those with a background in theory, computing or audio engineering, or audio recording, graduate degree programs enhance background knowledge and prepare individuals for career growth in the industry.
Programs frequently include not only lectures in the classroom, but individual research in the field, a thesis project, and actual hands-on training in a live studio. One of the most recent inclusions is digital technology which is becoming ever more important in the field. Coursework includes such things as foundations of multimedia design application, audio production, principles of music production, and many other courses, which explore emerging technologies in the industry.
Upon leaving the program, knowledge is gained about music compression, audio software, playback, and distribution methods. Most importantly, learning how to design and develop the technologies that are driving the industry, which includes multimedia creations, is a real asset when looking for a job. This prepares students for a variety of careers such as audio or studio engineer, sound or re-recording mixer, or even a music producer.
Careers in Music Production
Most people are familiar with the job of record producer, but it takes many people to produce and market a recording in today’s market. The job of the record producer is primarily a supervisory role as well as coaching artists, ensuring the job stays within a set budget, and making final decisions with regard to recording, mastering, and mixing sessions. However, often it takes starting in other occupations then working one’s way up to achieve success, such as becoming a production assistant, recording engineer, or studio manager.
For those researching career options, a music production masters in technology can help prepare an individual for many jobs within the field. The coursework included is designed to prepare an individual for the real world in an industry that is exciting and ever evolving. For those interested in pursuing this course of study, researching program offerings provided through various institutions will help identify the program that could fulfill a lifelong dream.
Recording Arts and Music Production Programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Film, MFA
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Fine Arts in Film & TV - Script & Screenwriting
- Master of Arts in Film & TV - Producing
- Master of Arts in Film & TV - Script Writing