The nursing administration masters degree can prepare nurses for advancement in their employment. You will learn leadership and management skills, and also learn about the business and administrative side of the medical profession. Here is information about this kind of degree. You will need a Bachelor Degree to apply for training.
Nursing Administration Programs
Some learning institutions may require you to have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.), as others may allow a B.Sc in another related field. You may be required to be a registered nurse, also. Some programs may only admit students that have impressive grades, and recommendations from previous institutions. Most applicants have a great deal of job experience as a nurse, for the most part. A selection of courses might include:
- Policy and Ethics in Advanced Nursing Practice
- Nursing Informatics
- Health Administration Procedures
- Advanced Nursing Leadership and Management
- Health Promotion and Disease Management and Prevention
- Health Research Methods and Design
- Healthcare and Social Policy
- Leadership Development for Health
Nursing Administration Masters Careers
When you receive your nursing administration masters degree, you may apply to many different places for employment. For example, you may wish to be a health information manager. A health information manager maintains things like patient records. You will need to be well versed in computer software programs, as records are kept electronically. You will also need to be aware of the many security issues that computer data systems face.
You may wish to work in health services managing for instance by training in the nursing home administrator program. For example, you could be the director of physical therapy at a local hospital. You will oversee the operation, and be responsible for setting policies and strategies for the caring of patients. You also may be involved in human resource management and evaluation of employees.
Nursing care administrator is another possibility for nurses with the right credentials, like a graduate degree. You may find yourself in charge of a long-term care facility. This may involve overseeing all of the day-to-day operations. You will have a lot of decision-making opportunities in this kind of job. There are other positions that you may consider, including nurse manager or case manager. You also may wish to become a clinical instructor or health policy specialist.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
A nursing care administrator makes an average of $68,000 a year. The average income for a nursing home administrator is $101,000 annually. A health policy specialist routinely makes $50,000 per year. The median wage for health information manager is $88,000 each year. If you become a nurse manager, you can expect to make about $82,000 annually. These figures come from a well-known online employment service.
The median annual wage of registered nurses was $64,690 in 2010 as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $44,190 and the top 10% earned more than $95,130. In addition: Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners averaged $71,490. Earnings were as follows:
- General medical and surgical hospitals; private – $66,650
- Offices of physicians – $62,880
- General medical and surgical hospitals; local – $62,690
- Home health care services – $60,690
- Nursing care facilities – $58,180
The employment of registered nurses is expected to grow 26% from 2010 to 2020. The outlook for all of those in the nursing profession is good, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. Within the next ten years, there should be an abundant supply of jobs available. Your nursing administration masters degree will prepare you many positions of leadership and management. There may be positions unfilled in the future, due to the many shortages that exist in the health care industry.
Health and Nursing Administration/Leadership Programs
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing - Executive Leader
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Our online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can help you improve the experience of healthcare providers and patients.
- Walden’s online MHA program prepares leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Taught by doctoral-level faculty, our online MHA degree program features curriculum with multimedia that lends a real-world perspective to your online learning experience.
- Two ways to earn your MHA: choose from a course-based format or our competency-based Tempo Learning® by Walden that allows you to learn on your own schedule, at your own pace.
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Leadership and Management
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Leadership and Management
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- And more...
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Healthcare Administration
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing