Nursing masters degrees are designed for those individuals already employed as registered nurses, who have successfully graduated from a bachelors program, and want to develop their career. For virtually all nursing master degrees, there would be the need to have obtained an undergraduate degree, as well as having undertaken a fixed amount of work experience. The actual entry requirements depend upon the individual school, and can vary considerably depending upon the prestige of the establishment and the competition for places.
Nursing Masters Education Training
Such a program would be geared towards enhancing a nurses’ knowledge, credibility, and responsibility. Nurses who choose to enroll for a master’s program usually opt to focus their study on a particular area of specialization.
Regardless of any chosen field of concentration, there would be the need to complete a number of core courses during the initial stages of the program. These foundation subjects can include modules relating to theories of healthcare, advanced pharmacology, research, assessment, and disease control. Courses may include:
- Nursing Research for Evidence-Based Practice
- Statistics for Clinical Nursing Research
- Nursing Administration
- Health Assessment
- Clinical Pharmacology
The bulk of nursing master degrees curricula is made up of electives. Prior to enrollment it is essential that you consider what area you would like to develop your knowledge in, this can include topics such as human pathophysiology, symptom management, community health, epidemiology, patient stress management, epidemiology, drug therapy, and healthcare policy. Most master’s degrees are flexible in nature so that a class schedule can be fitted around a busy work profile.
Throughout the training, you would be provided the means to develop skills to become accomplished in your chosen field. To be successful in the healthcare industry it is important to have advanced abilities relating to problem solving, critical thinking, communication, intervention, leadership, and clinical decision-making.
Careers in Nursing
Successful graduates form this program would be eligible to take up senior administrative roles in various healthcare facilities, as well as research and teaching positions in academia. The opportunities that are available post graduation would in part depend upon the actual area of specialization. It is important to understand that the correct licensure must be obtained to practice professionally, this would require the completion of a licensing examination.
The specialization may be in a field such as oncology, HIV/AIDS, cardiovascular care, midwifery, or developmental disability. There can be the option of choosing a program that has a focus on administration so as to take up a managerial position.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The career chosen will determine how much salary is attainable. The Department of Labor has released data that indicates the median income for various nursing related occupations. For example, as of 2009, a nurse practitioner earned a median salary of $80,000, nurse anesthetists $131,000, midwifes $82,000, and nurse administrators $73,000.
The median annual wage of registered nurses was $64,690 in 2010 as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $44,190 and the top 10% earned more than $95,130. In addition: Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners averaged $71,490. Earnings were as follows:
- General medical and surgical hospitals; private – $66,650
- Offices of physicians -$62,880
- General medical and surgical hospitals; local -$62,690
- Home health care services -$60,690
- Nursing care facilities – $58,180
The employment of registered nurses is expected to grow 26% from 2010 to 2020. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the number of opportunities available for graduates from a nursing masters degree in the coming years will grow considerably. When we compare the healthcare sector with other service related industries, we see that the growth will be much faster for individuals working in this area than in any other field. Certain specialist nursing profiles for those with nursing master degrees can be expected to see an increase in opportunities up to around 12%.
Masters in Nursing Programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- As a CCNE-accredited school of nursing, Wilkes University is fully committed to preparing our students for a career of lifelong learning and success in a constantly evolving, dynamic profession.
- We offer online programs for nurses at any stage in their career. From our R.N. to M.S.N., to our Ph.D. in Nursing, choose the program that is right for you.
- Learn from doctorally-prepared, highly qualified instructors. Our faculty are true "scholar-practitioners," and bring real-world experience to every subject.
- Receive a supportive, student-focused online education. Our programs are designed so that you can complete coursework when and where it's convenient for you.
- We offer accelerated completion options for qualified students in our R.N. to M.S.N. and M.S.N. programs – earn your master’s degree fully online and finish faster.
- Our net tuition cost for nursing programs is among the most competitive for regionally accredited universities.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nurse Executive
- And more...
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing - Master's
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- And more...
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- MHA - Master of Healthcare Administration : Gerontology
- Master of Human Services - Gerontology
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Integrative Wellness Coaching
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics