When one has a masters in mental health counseling, they can pursue a variety of options. There are many career choices that this particular area of study can help to achieve. Graduates can find jobs in; hospitals, nursing homes, private clinics and government run agencies. People who graduate from this program will also be able to help children in various settings. Graduates will have the opportunity to work with people of all ages, including seniors, adults and children. When family support is required, this role will step up and provide the essential services that are needed.
Mental Health Counseling Education and Training
People who take this program will get to study in eight core areas of knowledge with all of the domains of mental health. The full time program may include up to nine credits per semester. It may take almost three years to complete the training at the masters level.
Studies may include; professional orientation, social and cultural diversity, assisting with relationships, career path development, program and research development and ethical practice. There will be several different types of therapeutic models and styles available for students to learn about. Courses will reflect the various models to give students a broad understanding of different roles.
People in the field will graduate and move onto various jobs. Jobs available for graduates who have their masters in mental health counseling include working in human services and social services agencies and organizations. Professionals may find themselves working in places such as; mental health agencies, family counseling centers, private counseling practices, correctional settings and government run agencies.
Careers in Mental Health Counseling
A graduate can try working as a family counselor. This role will involve helping people with their marriage and family. Counselors may find themselves working through behavioral problems and mental health issues. Family Counseling can involve both the kids and adults. They may assist kids with behavior issues and help parents work through the issues. Distressed families need to have support there for them and a family counselor may be that person.
When a marriage is failing, this type of position will help the couple work through their issues. The counselor may provide therapy to the couple on their own and as a joined couple. They can often get to the root of the problem just by listening to both sides. Once the problem has been diagnosed, the specialist can then suggest a course of action, to get the family back on track.
A mental health counselor may also work in a center for addiction and mental health. They can help with intake services and assessing individual needs. Extra services can be connected with through a counselor as well as emotional support. This role may follow a patient as they recover from their addiction and look for work in the workforce.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The job outlook in this profession is expected to climb steadily in the next five to ten years. There are new services being added every year that help to provide more jobs. People with this degree will be able to work in a variety of settings. The average pay for someone with their Masters in Mental Health Counseling is between 29-59,000 a year. Pay will be influenced by experience and education.
Mental Health Counseling Programs
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Psychology
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
- PhD in Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Psychology, Career Management and Counseling Specialization
- MA in Psychology, General Psychology