The counseling psychology PhD degree program is basically a doctorate study course that dwells more on the research and thesis on a matter in the related discipline as opposed to the regular degree that will train on the practice of the said faculty or discipline. In this case the psychology discipline. A Psychology PhD could be undertaken in a number of various areas including clinical psychology which is one of the most common sectors since it is more useful in the hospital environment on a regular basis.
Counseling Psychology Training and Education
Let’s take a closer look at the psychology PhD. Just like other PhD programs, this particular one also has its minimum enrollment requirements which every aspiring candidate has to fulfill before you can be admitted into the program. Let us take clinical psychology for example. In order to get enrolled in this program, you should have an ordinary doctorate in clinical psychology before they can be admitted into this course.
Perhaps the main concern is what the course entails. Having mentioned at the beginning that the program basically concentrates on research with the aim of formulating a thesis in the particular area of study, it is important to understand that the particular subject that you choose to research on should be variable and not similar to other research works that have been undertaken previously.
During the course, the candidate is expected to compile reports and carry out investigative research into the behavioral patterns of individuals considering the fact that psychology is classified as behavioral science. This study concentrates on establishing the best methods and ways through which this research can be applied in clinical interventions either directly or indirectly.
Besides the duration of time taken to research and compile your thesis, this program also includes a two years mandatory internship that has to be undertaken under close supervision of the institutions from where you are taking the program.
It is strictly upon the completion of the internship that the candidate can be eligible to enroll for the state licensing and national exams that will eventually recognize you as a qualified PhD holder in the respective area of study.
It is however important at this juncture to note that many states in the united states of America often require that the candidate takes one out of the two years of internship on the doctorate course. This is only exempted in the state of Washington.
PsyD vs PhD
The PsyD (Doctor of Psychology) degree is designed as a professional degree that trains graduates for applied work in areas like therapy and counseling. The goal of the PsyD is to prepare graduates to serve as practicing psychologists. The program offers a advanced training in therapeutic techniques.
Like most PhD programs, the health psychology PhD is designed to prepare psychologists who understand, apply and conduct research. Well prepared PhD graduates should be creators of research-based knowledge.
Careers in Psychology
Upon completion of the program, there are a number of prospective opportunities that are available for a graduate to take up. In many cases, the candidate works in mental institutions to try and rehabilitate mental disorders and to help analyze the underlying reasons that might have led to the patient becoming mentally affected. Particular areas of specialization include:
- Forensic Psychology
- Art Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Organizational Psychology or Industrial Psychology
- School Psychology
- Sports Psychology
- Rehabilitation Psychology
- Human Factors Psychology or Engineering Psychology
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
With the increased pressures in modern life, many people are increasingly affected psychologically and the demand for intervention is not in doubt, the remuneration package for an entry level Psychology PhD graduate is variable depending on the institution in question as well as the other credentials that the candidate possesses. The figure generally ranges from as low as $40,000 per year to as high as $120,000 per year. The median salary is about $64,000 per year.
Doctorates in Psychology and Counseling
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- With an MS in Human and Social Services from Walden, you can expand your professional skills and global perspective to make a positive difference in the lives of your clients.
- This online master’s in human and social services focuses on building your effectiveness and professional skills in your chosen area of practice within a global context.
- The program includes core courses that incorporate global content and case studies and an optional Global Social Services specialization.
- As a graduate, you will be prepared to articulate the role that human services leaders play in promoting social change and advocacy for individuals, families, and communities in need.
- Choose from 12 career-aligned specializations that allow you to focus your learning on your own career path and goals.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.