The advantages of a software engineering master degree are many. Computers have become the basis for information storage, rapid communications and thousands of other things. It is used worldwide and is constantly changing, from day to day. Because of this, it is essential that people working in this area increase the depth and breadth of their knowledge of this discipline.
Software Engineering Training and Education
The Software Engineering Master degree is designed for early to mid-career software professionals who wish to keep abreast of the latest techniques. For admittance to the program, the majority of schools require two to five years of industry experience and experience in small and large-scope software projects.
Depending on the school it may take 16 months to 2 years of full time study, on campus or several years part time. With the constant new technological discoveries, it is imperative that this type of study be undertaken by those who wish to remain knowledgeable in this industry.
Although admittance requirements may vary from school to school. Basically they require the following, in addition to industry experience.
- Mathematical knowledge (algorithms, data structures, programming languages),
- Programming skills (block-structured or object-oriented languages, Java, C++, etc),
- Practical programming knowledge (methods and computer organization),
- In-depth knowledge of two topics (database and operating systems, compiling techniques, or comparative programming languages)
The application materials are a completed application form, and fee, a 2 page SOP (statement of purpose), resume, description of project experience, 3 letters of recommendation, school transcripts, Graduate Record Exam scores and, for foreign students, TOEFL exam scores.
Ordinarily a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering mathematics or physics is required there are some exceptions. Some institutions will accept an applicant, into the program, if they can demonstrate their ability to perform graduate-level work in software engineering and meet the other requirements.
The software engineering master degree program focuses on innovative theories which are taught in a combination of core and elective courses, along with their practical application. The type of courses one might expect are Artificial Intelligence, Design, Enterprise Java Development, Information Technology Research Methods, Object-Oriented Engineering and Construction, Tools and Methods, Enterprise C# Development. These names of these courses may vary with other schools but contain the same basic information.
Industrial applications such as Oracle DB, Microsoft and Unix operation systems, and IBM Rational tools are also included. Some schools emphasize that these programs are taught by professional faculty members who are well known for their scholarly contributions and work. In addition, the programs are designed to challenge the student so that they can learn and apply tools and technique to their work in the outside world.
Software Engineering Careers
There are numerous employment opportunities for Systems Engineering Master graduates. Looking on the Internet, there are a large number of companies seeking employees with this degree. A few advertised are Sr. Software Engineer, Development Engineer, Programmer, Quality Assurance Manager, Lead Software Development Engineer and many more.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Salaries for a graduate with a software engineering master degree position differ, depending on the position and employer, but are shown on the Internet as being $80,000 to $97,949 or higher. The US Bureau of Statistics reports that there will be a huge demand in this job market between now and 2018.
Programs in Computer Programming and Software Development
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.