The sports nutrition masters program combines the subject of fitness with both nutrition and health. Students undertaking this higher level program would be expected to familiarize themselves with methods that help reduce injuries and provide treatment to athletes through the implementation of special dietary regimes. A graduate from this type of course can take up a career that helps sports people, as well as everyday people, enhance their performance and reduce sickness.
Sports Nutrition Education and Training
To be accepted on to a master’s of sports nutrition program, there is usually a requirement to have successfully graduated from a related bachelor’s degree, this should involve modules such as anatomy, health, and physiology. The entrance requirements for sports nutrition masters degree programs do vary from school to school, with the most esteemed establishments having the strictest eligibility criteria.
The sports nutrition courses involve learning how to correctly assess an individual’s metabolism, create nutritional programs, and develop dietary regimes, which when followed can help to minimize the chance of injury or treat a specific ailment. Students would also be expected to learn how to customize training programs so as to enhance athletic performance.
Typical sports nutrition classes in a sports nutrition master’s program would include kinesiology, vitamins and minerals, exercise physiology, aging, health promotion, sports supplements, and advanced dietary planning. Certain subjects would be elective whilst other would be prerequisites. It is therefore important to understand the nature of the syllabus prior to applying to enroll on a specific course.
Sports Nutrition Careers
Graduates from a sports nutrition master’s degree program may be able to take up employment across a broad number of industries. There are openings in sporting and athletic clubs, hospitals, fitness centers, rehabilitation centers, as well as in colleges and universities. Actual profiles include that of a nutritionist, dietician, consultant, health fitness instructor, and personal trainer. The range of possibilities would in part depend upon location.
If a sports nutrition graduate has an interest in taking up a role as a dietician or nutritionist, there may be specific licensing or certification requirements. As of 2011, thirty-five US states require dieticians to hold licensing, and twelve require certification. Similarly, to find employment as a personal trainer or health instructor, professional certification may also be necessary.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
Data made available from various official bodies that monitor salary and pay levels illustrate that most dieticians in the US earn between $46,000 and $55,000 per year, with entry level positions paying an average of between $18,000 and $31,000 on an annual basis. With experience the rewards increase dramatically including those who have earned a sports nutrition graduate degree, with the top earners commanding a wage of more than $80,000 per annum.
According to the latest information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for all dieticians is predicted to grow at an average rate up until 2018. As there is now a growing interest in the importance of diet and nutrition, in terms of disease prevention and in the fields of sports, the number of openings available to candidates holding the right qualifications will steadily grow. Those graduates holding a sports nutrition masters degree will be best placed to take up the most desirable positions, which offer a lifelong and rewarding career.
Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition Programs
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Health and Wellness
- BA/Health Education
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism :Thesis
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism : Non-Thesis
- Master of Science: Sport Management: Outdoor Adventure Sport (Thesis)
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- Sports Management - Master of Education
- Sports Management - PhD in Education
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.