This article provides an online teaching masters degree program overview, as well as trends in K-12 education. This higher level of study is aimed at those individuals who would like to pursue advanced teaching licensure in their chosen field of interest. Most teachers hold a bachelor’s degree in education, though there is the option of enrolling in a teaching masters program.
Master of Arts in Teaching Preparation
Enrollment would provide students with an in-depth and critical understanding of their preferred area of specialization. Most students would usually complete this program in under two years, and it can often involve an internship. To be accepted into a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) program would typically require the holding of a bachelor’s degree in education, or a related discipline. Admission is only usually approved after an assessment of an applicants Graduate Record Examination scores has taken place. An in-person interview may also form part of the application procedure, though this depends upon the school in question.
The teaching masters degree program coursework is based mainly on each student’s chosen academic discipline, this means that science, math, and English candidates will have different curricula. Apart from the actual specialized field, topics would also be covered relating to assessment and methodology techniques.
An internship or practicum would usually form a component of the teaching masters degree program prior to licensure being issued. Common courses in this type of program include classroom preparation, educational materials, instructional and curriculum development, educational leadership, theory and technology, sociology, and the history of education. Other courses may be:
- Technology and Instruction
- Teaching in Diverse Classroom Settings
- Managing the Classroom
- Human Development and Learning Processes
- Technology and Instruction
Careers in Teaching
It is important to note that the not all masters degrees relating to education are given the same value by employers. If you have an interest in taking up a position at a prestigious school or college, it would be useful to spend some amount of time comparing the way in which different establishments are viewed.
The faculty and their experience is also an important issue, the course lecturers should have hands on experience of working in a school. Successful graduates who have gained their licensure or certification through a masters teaching degree will discover that there are a number of career options available to them. In the most part, graduates choose to take up employment relating to a particular field of expertise.
The most important decision is at what level to develop a career, there are openings in kindergartens, middle schools, junior high schools, and high schools. Also, there can also be the opportunity to take up a role in a community college or adult leaning center.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
The BLS states that in 2008, there were more than three million teachers employed in the US. This figure is predicted to rise by around 13% up until 2018. The main driving force behind this trend is the retirement of current teachers. The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020. For high school teacher the expected growth rate is 7% for the same period. Data made available from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) shows that as of May 2009, the median salary for all kindergarten teachers stood at $50,3000, at the same time, the annual income of secondary school teachers was $55,000.
As should be expected, the positions in private schools paid on average 10% to 20% more than those jobs in government run institutions. Holders of a teaching masters degree are more likely to have a desirable compensatory package.
Masters in Education Programs
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-ITL
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-NITL
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Shape young lives, improve student outcomes, and stay at the forefront of your field through our online MS in Education (MSEd) program.
- Engage in cutting-edge curriculum that connects students with education experts, researchers, and scholars.
- The MSEd program offers 17 specializations, including Special Education, Educational Leadership and Administration, and more.
- Qualifying students may transfer up to 15 credits to the MSEd program.
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching and Diversity in Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- MA/Education - Early Childhood Education
- MA/Education - Child Development
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education - Teaching and Learning
- Master of Science in Education - Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MEd - Reading Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Master of Education
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Program Management)
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Educational Technology)
- Masters of Education in secondary Science
- And more...
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership Emphasis
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...