The doctorate in education is one of the highest levels one can attain in the education career path. Being almost the epitome of an educationist career it is important to note that there are strict requirements that must be met by any aspiring candidates in order to qualify for the program.
Teacher Education Training
Generally there are two doctorates in education – The Doctor of Education (EdD) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Education. The EdD is discipline-based, and it’s goal is to prepare candidates to work in academia, administration, clinical or research positions, in educational institutions including K-12 and higher education as well as various education and government based agencies.
The PhD is a research based program although it may include coursework as well. In quite a few cases the distinctions between the two are blurred and thus the decision to join one or the other may be a case of professional goals or access to either program.
Among the most important qualifications include a bachelor of education and a masters degree in the same discipline. Upon meeting the necessary conditions as stated herein, it should not escape your attention that you will have to dedicate lots of your time in order to make it in this program. It often involves lots of research work and could take longer than anticipated since it does not have a strict time frame that has to be followed.
There are various concentrations to consider including: Educational Psychology, Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Technology, Educational Policy to mention a few. During the teaching PhD degree training, there is a lot of research work that consumes most of the entire duration of the course.
The need to carry out extensive research on a topical issue and to be able to write down a thesis that is well documented and supported with factual results from the research is very important. In fact this is the backbone of the entire program and it would almost be impossible to graduate without satisfactorily meeting these conditions. Coursework might include:
- Psychological of Teaching
- Pedagogical Methods
- Learning and Development in Sociocultural Context
- Educational Policy
- Research Methods in Educational Research
Perhaps the most useful information for many candidates aspiring to take on the teaching doctorate degree is that most state owned universities provide the funding for the research that is a major part of this particular program. This should be good news to persons who may shy away from taking on the program out of fear that the costs of research may destabilize them financially.
This however should mean that some considerations should be taken when choosing the university from which to enroll for this program. The prospects that this program is likely to bring to the graduate must justly be a matter of concern for anyone thinking of taking such a course.
Careers in Teaching
The importance of the program cannot be overstated as it will not only propel you to higher earning potential but the contributions of the graduate to the education fraternity in the world will be exceptionally important. It is at this level that the persons who help in the formulation of academic policies in many states throughout the world are likely to come from.
Upon graduation, from the teaching PhD program you are likely to have an increase in opportunities besides your regular employment. A number of companies like to higher consultation services from teaching PhD degree holders as opposed to ordinary degree holders. You are most likely to provide training for companies who want to improve the skills of their staff members.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
On average, a teaching PhD degree holder gets about $37,000 more than an ordinary degree holder per year. This means that such a graduate will be looking at an average of about $90,000 annually. The figure will of course vary depending on the particular discipline studied as well as the number of years of experience just but to mention a few factors.
Doctorates in Education (PhD and EdD)
- Our online EdD program allows you to choose from nine specializations to focus your learning on your interests and goals.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden is the choice for more than 100 state teachers of the year.
- Research your passion. Select your own doctoral study topic and research what interests you.
- Learn how you can immediately make a positive impact on your school or district.
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- Doctor of Education - Special Education
- And more...
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Special Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- Emphases include Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, TESOL & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses 100% online or in our evening campus cohorts.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request transcripts, evaluate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- 60 of our College of Education graduates have gone on to become Teachers of the Year, will you be next?
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Concordia pursues online learning with the same passion and commitment to excellence that has marked our 110-year history. Our online degrees provides the same high academic standards as our on-campus
- #1 in M.Ed Degrees awarded by a Non-Profit University with over 8,000 M.Ed degrees that have been awarded to Concordia Online Students (Based on 2013-2014 IPEDS data); #3 MBA Program in Oregon (2015)
- Your diploma and transcript is exactly the same as what students receive from Concordia’s on-campus program and carries the same value as a traditional degree
- Concordia offers a variety of scholarships, grants, and awards designed to make the cost of a quality liberal arts education more affordable. Military benefits are available to candidates who qualify
- Concordia offers outstanding student-focused support including technical support and student service teams to assist you from initial contact through graduation.
- Concordia University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.