An overview of the TESOL masters degree programs is presented in this article. TESOL stands for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. If you have a passion for teaching, and specifically with a focus on the English language, it can be desirable and career enhancing to undertake the study of a TESOL masters degree. Upon graduation you would be in the position of being able to choose what age group you would like to work with in a range of settings.
TESOL Education and Training
To be eligible to enroll for this type of master’s degree, you would normally need to have a background that is in education. If you have many years experience of working as a teacher, there may not necessarily be a requirement to have undertaken a bachelors degree in the area, though this would always be beneficial.
Teaching certifications, such as CELTA and TEFL, can also help in your application being received favorably. Depending upon the school chosen, an in-person interview may also be required.
The topics covered in a TESOL masters program do vary considerably between schools. It is important to consider what area of expertise you would like to develop a focus on. Topics that can be covered include how students learn, how to create a naturalistic classroom setting, classroom discourse, best conditions for learning, extrinsic and intrinsic motivation, and attitudes to learning. Courses may include:
- TESOL Methodology
- TESOL Curriculum Design
- Technology and Language Instruction
- International-Intercultural Communication
- Second Language Acquisition
There would also be a focus on how to correctly evaluate the progress of students, and how to make changes that can illicit better results. Data collection and statistical analysis are both important factors at every level of education.
For the most part, teaching English to non-native speakers would involve adult students, though this is not always the case. There are opportunities available in educational institutions around the US as well as overseas.
Upon completion of the masters in TESOL degree program requirements, graduates should have a broad overview of the current research into second language learning, understand the implications of the latest theories for enhancing the take up of the English language, and demonstrate an awareness of the research processes that are ongoing and which can be adapted to the classroom.
With a master’s degree in TESOL, as well as the correct licensure, teachers should be able to work with students of both sexes and all ages who have a different understanding and grasp of the English language.
TESOL graduates are in demand by schools that have a large non-English speaking catchment, as well as institutions who provide learning to improve the ability of adults. Holders of master’s degrees would be eligible to take up the most senior positions as teachers of the English language, not just within the US, but also in prestigious overseas schools.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
According to official figures released by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the majority of teachers of English to speakers of other languages earned an annual salary between $32,000 and $53,000, as of 2009. The best packages were provided to teachers in private institutions. If you have an interest in working overseas, countries such as the UAE and Saudi Arabia have the greatest earning potential.
It is projected that the number of opportunities for holders of the TESOL masters degree will increase faster than the average rate of all occupations in the coming years. The largest number of openings will be in institutions that provide adult education.
ESL Education Programs
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) (K - Adult)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English Language Development
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- English Second Language - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Multilingual Education)
- Online ESL program
- Master of Arts in TESOL (MA in TESOL)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning