With a therapy masters degree, there are a number of career paths that you can choose from. Job opportunities for psychologists are good especially for those who hold a MA (masters) qualification. We will focus on a few choices that can be pursued in this field. Psychology is defined as the scientific observation of the human mind with the emphasis being on behavioral issues. Graduates with a MA in Clinical Psychology are allowed to provide psychological assessments and psychotherapy under the supervision of a registered clinical psychologist.
Therapy and Couseling Training and Education
This is known as a terminal degree which means that additional study is not required. A MA in Experimental Psychology can also be considered a terminal degree or it be obtained in preparation for further study.This type of degree will prepare a student to work as a lab manager, a research assistant, or a market researcher. Other areas include marriage and family counseling, drug and alcohol abuse counseling (substance abuse counseling).
Experimental psychology refers to specialty areas like social psychology, developmental psychology, human factors, and cognitive psychology. It focuses on basic psychological processes like memory, cognition, and learning, in animals and humans. You can also get a MA in Applied Psychology.
It includes areas such as forensic psychology and industrial-organizational psychology. The degree enables students to work in their chosen specialty area. Alternatively, they can seek teaching positions at university or college level.
Careers in Therapy and Counseling
Competition for teaching jobs is fierce, but it does not mean that you can’t get involved in education. There are other careers in this sector that your MA in psychology will enable you to pursue. These include career counseling, academic advising, or academic recruiting. Another option is to apply for employment with the federal, state, or local government. They often have vacancies for individuals with a MA in psychology. In this environment, there is a range of duties, e. G. Providing psychological services or doing research. A list of vacancies for these jobs can be found on the Department of Labor’s website.
Even if your MA degree is not practice-focused, you can still work in the field of mental health. Although most of these positions are entry-level, they are an excellent way to get experience. This will be to your benefit if you want to go on and obtain a PhD in counseling or clinical psychology.
A therapy masters degree is also an excellent way to prepare for a career outside of psychology. Corporate companies often seek psychology graduates because they have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Examples of jobs in this environment are human resources manager, employee trainer, public relations manger, or project manager.
Estimated Income and Projected Job Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, employment opportunities are the strongest for graduates with degrees in this branch of psychology including the therapy masters degree. The latest statistics published by the US Bureau of Labor show that the demand for psychologists will grow at an average rate over the next several years. As mentioned, there is expected to be a higher demand for psychologists to work in the industrial sector. The reason for this is the need to boost worker productivity. The average annual income for psychologists with 5 to 10 years working experience is between $42,729 and $68,000.
Programs in Counseling and Therapy
- Continue your pursuit of knowledge with a master's degree in psychology online with GCU.
- Explore human behavior and the development of critical thinking and leadership.
- Areas of focus include: forensic psychology, geropsychology, health psychology, life coaching and industrial & organizational psychology.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Pursue a career in counseling, behavioral health, mental health, social services, education and more.
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Walden’s MS in Psychology program offers 11 specializations to help you gain the knowledge and develop the skills needed to seek career advancement, help others, or prepare for doctoral studies.
- Prepare to apply the latest psychological research and theory to real-world problems, whether you choose to work in a community agency, in a healthcare setting, or in social services systems.
- Graduates of this program prepare themselves to apply psychological theory, research, and practice to scholarly and/or professional activities that promote positive social change.
- Our redesigned MS in Psychology program offers streamlined coursework—five specializations allow you to accelerate your path to a PhD by applying credits earned from your master’s program.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. in Counseling
- M.A. Psychology
- Offers online & on-campus Master’s in Medical Family Therapy programs with an optional certification in Medical Family Therapy
- Students participate in a clinical internship with 500 client contact hours and 100 hours of supervision prior to completing the program
- Topics covered include Couples Therapy, Addictive Disorders, Systematic Diagnosis & Assessment, & more
- Eligible students can enroll in clinical training program after completing their coursework
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Treatment of Trauma
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Science in Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!